President Donald Trump’s reelection campaign has announced it will no longer issue press credentials to Bloomberg News reporters for its events.
Shortly after the news outlet’s owner, Michael Bloomberg, announced his presidential bid last month, Bloomberg News told employees it won’t be doing any investigations of Bloomberg or his family during the campaign. It also said it “will extend the same policy to his rivals in the Democratic primaries,” but that it would “continue to investigate the Trump administration, as the government of the day.”
In a statement on Monday, President Trump’s campaign manager said the news outlet’s decision “to formalize preferential reporting policies” was “troubling and wrong.” He wrote: “As President Trump’s campaign, we are accustomed to unfair reporting practices, but most news organizations don’t announce their biases so publicly. Since they have declared their bias openly, the Trump campaign will no longer credential representatives of Bloomberg News for rallies or other campaign events.”
He said the campaign will “determine whether to engage with individual reporters or answer inquiries from [the news outlet] on a case-by-case basis,” and that the policy will remain in effect “until Bloomberg News publicly rescinds its decision.”
Bloomberg News’ editor-in-chief said Monday the Trump campaign’s accusation of bias “couldn’t be further from the truth.” He said the outlet has “covered Donald Trump fairly and in an unbiased way since he became a candidate in 2015 and will continue to do so despite the restrictions imposed by the Trump campaign.”
Additional reporting from Newsy affiliate CNN.
Source:: Newsy Headlines